Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Monday, November 22, 2010

I'm Thankful for...Menu Planning


At this time of year I am extra thankful for so many things...my husband, my children, family and friends, turkey gravy in a jar.  Seriously, do you want to have to cook those giblet things?
I will be preparing the exact same menu my family has been enjoying my entire life. As a chef, I have tried to interject a little culinary finesse, a little something new and different and fresh to our menu over the years. One thing I have learned from doing this? Don't! My family does not appreciate change when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner. They have learned to embrace the addition of gruyere to the mac and cheese but brie and artichoke dressing? Politely declined. Pineapple in the sweet potatoes? Ignored. Orange zest in the REAL, FRESH cranberries? Flat out shunned. But I will not give up. I just know if I keep on trying, someday we might have something new on the table. This year I'm going crazy and serving.....A CHEESE PLATTER!

I pray that you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!

P.S. - We didn't exactly follow our plan last week....we ate out . So, this week we will be catching up! Here is my plan...
Monday: BBQ chicken stuffed baked sweet potatoes

Tuesday: Baked potato soup

Wednesday: Meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes, peas

Thanksgiving Day:
Turkey (duh) one roasted, one deep fried
Cornbread sage dressing - my grandmother's "recipe" - basically a pinch of this, a handful of that...
Stinky Mac and cheese (my sister's name for the version I make that has cheese other than Velveeta in in) I use this recipe as a guideline only I add a few more varieties of cheese.
Green bean casserole - try it with Cream of Onion soup instead of mushroom...you'll love it)
Sweet potatoes with marshmallows - my mother-in-laws contribution
Orange jello salad - yes I know, we're just old-fashioned like that besides, where else can you put mayonnaise, pecans, cheese and pineapple together and have a yummy dish/entertaining plaything?
Corn casserole - melt two packages of cream cheese with one stick of butter, add 4 cans corn(drained) and 3 tablespoons minced jalepeno. Place in baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake until bubbly.
Mashed potatoes
Cranberry sauce - open can, slide out onto serving plate. Careful! Don't let it roll away! All of your guests will admire it's perfectly round shape all of the pretty ridges!
Rolls
Chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate-pecan pie, buttermilk pie, pumpkin roll, chocolate cake, anything else I might think of.

Friday: Family Fun Night!! Let the Christmas decorating begin!!! Pizza and the first Christmas movie of the season. I wonder how turkey pizza would taste...

Saturday: Leftovers! Our favorite is a turkey-fied version of Welsh Rabbit: cold turkey on toast covered in a hot cheddar cheese bechamel sauce.

Sunday: Turkey Benedict: English muffin smeared with cranberry sauce, turkey, poached egg and Hollandaise sauce.

For more menu ideas for your Thanksgiving dinner or what to do with those pesky leftovers check out www.orgjunkie.com

1 comment:

  1. Your menu for the week looks great. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to have you at the table! Thanks for stopping by and come back often!