Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Belated Happy New Year from Mother Hubbard!!!

I can't believe it's 2011! I remember when I was a kid and we used to calculate how old we would be in 2000 and how distant (and old!) it seemed. Now we are eleven years beyond that and I don't feel so old after all (well, some days....)!

Well, as expected, I have made some resolutions. Accountablility is key, so I shall share them with you here....
1. I will become more organized; specifically, I will gain control over the suffocating amount paper in my house (I'll also finish unpacking the few boxes left from moving into our house...last July)

2. I will finish writing my cookbook...the one I've been working on for about 7 years.

3. I will restart my business..and become a giant worldwide conglomerate that will take over the world!!! Muuhaahahaha (That's supposed to be a maniacal laugh)

4. I will try all of those recipes I have been tearing out of magazines since I was 15.

5. Most importantly, I will live my life for Christ. I try, but I will work harder to follow His footsteps. I saw a saying today that I thought was great..."Are the things you are living for worth Christ dying for?" -Leonard Ravenhill
It made me stop and think about everything in my life and how I can improve the way I live it. So, no better time than right now, in the new year!

Another resolution I've made is what I'm calling "The Year of Living Frugal". I thought it would be fun to challenge myself to see how little money I can spend and how much I can save this year! I've already started couponing in earnest (have you watched "Extreme Couponing" on tv?...inspiring) and cooking creatively from the pantry and freezer. Fortunately, I'm only cooking for my kiddos (but if you remember, there are 7 of them!) because I am on a restricted diet for the next couple of weeks (weight loss is not a resolution...I've been working on it slowly for almost a year...52 pounds so far!). I'm also planning to sew more and look for creative projects to finish decorating my house. I've already saved quite a bit by being my own plumber when a pipe burst in our yard!

So far my creative cooking has led us to ham and Swiss sandwiches on cornbread with mango jam and chipotle mayo; Cheesy outside-in sliders on dark wheat buns with homemade relish from the garden; smoked sausage dogs on a stick (smoked sausage stuffed with cheese, wrapped in canned French bread dough and rolled in a mixture of paprika, garlic salt and sesame seeds and baked according to the bread directions); my eldest daughter even came up with chickpea and tomato curry on saffron rice! It's just amazing what you can come up with when you think the cupboard is bare!

Today I made Banana, Brown Sugar and White Chocolate mini bundt cakes. The kids loved them. They (the cakes...ok ,the kids, too) are very cute and perfect with hot chocolate on a rainy, cold day.

I wish you all a blessed and happy new year! I will begin posting my menu plan again next week; in the meantime, visit www.orgjunkie.com for hundreds of amazing ideas. I'm going to go see what else I don't have in my pantry to make for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so happy to have you at the table! Thanks for stopping by and come back often!