Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Eat from the Pantry Challenge

[6a00e552792fa288330128768383b9970c-pi.gif]

We're a little behind but we have decided to participate in this challenge. This is nothing new for us as we have done this type of "challenge" in the lean years...making a game out of how many meals we could create from the ingredients we have in the pantry and fridge.( Mmm...what can we make out of maple syrup, crackers and Spam??) It's amazing how creative you can be when you have to be! So far, we haven't had to think too hard. We have a pretty well stocked pantry and freezer (Thanks, Mom for the Omaha Steaks gift box you gave us for Christmas!). But, with a family of 9, food doesn't last long. So, we'll see how we do. Here are our rules....
1. Go to the store only once per week to replenish necessary perishables.
2. Ice cream is not a necessary perishable.
3. Spend no more than $100 per week. (I know this sounds like a lot but we buy 10
gallons of milk per week alone. I will try very hard to spend way less and I will keep
track and report our expenditures. If I can keep to the $100 budget I will be saving
approximately $600 per month)
4. Chocolate bars are not a necessary perishable....are they?
5. I'm pretty sure Starbucks is not a necessary perishable..however, it is going to be 20
degrees tomorrow and it may be a necessary survival item...you know, to stay warm
and all.
Okay, seriously, here is our menu for the week of January 4 - 10.

Monday: Swiss Steak, rice, green beans
Tuesday: Beef Stew, home made artisan bread
Wednesday: Turkey (!) on toast with cheddar bechamel sauce, mixed vegetables
Thursday: Chili, hush puppies
Friday: Family Fun Night!! Pizza, homemade wings, brownies No movie! We were working at our dance school's feis but we did go see Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakel during the day.
Saturday: Quentin's Birthday Choice!
Mac and cheese, salad, cake and ice cream (we already have some so I'm not cheating :) )
Sunday: Walkabout soup, salad, homemade bread

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. I get the benefit from this challenge all the way around. I get to save money and eat awesome food. I am truly blessed to be married to this amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinner last night was awesome!

    I am soooooo blessed!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to have you at the table! Thanks for stopping by and come back often!