Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Culinary History or It's Never too Late to Learn

I grew up eating dinner at the table with my parents and sister every night (except for a brief break during the seventies when T.V. trays were a super cool and exciting new eating break-through!). My mother made my lunch virtually every day of my life, she almost never bought any prepared foods. Cakes, pies, cookies, casseroles, everything was homemade. She did not, however, ever conquer bread making. My mother is so amazing, I think that if there is something she can't do it's because she chooses not to do it. What an example to live up to!
During my first, brief marriage, I was told by my husband that I was no good at cooking and probably should not do it. Hence, the brief marriage.
Despite my apparent food preparation deficiency, I had this hair-brained idea that I wanted to have a catering company. I love food, throwing parties and I figured it was a business that didn't require a lot of up-front financial outlay. Plus, I have always tended to want to do things I am told I should not do. So, as a newly single mother of two little girls I had to cook.
Soon, I met God's best for me (my husband)who thought anything I wanted to do was awesome. He encouraged me, ate lots of experiments and smiled through all of it. Another thing about my husband...he's a talker. He can talk to anyone about anything. This is good and bad all at the same time. Good = he likes to brag about me so EEK! now I have a catering business and bad = EEK! now I have a catering business. Sometimes the best thing you can do is jump into something without knowing too much. This way you don't have time to get scared. At least that's the strategy that has always worked for me...
Over the course of 14 years, I have ended up becoming a self-trained professional chef, catering meals for private parties, movie sets and everything in between; teaching; and running (my favorite) a baking company specializing in sculpted cakes. Now one of my daughters is planning on going to culinary school!
I didn't really get into the kitchen and get serious until I was almost 28 years old. So, get in the kitchen, try out a new recipe, experiment, have fun. Learn a couple of simple recipes like maybe meatballs or a basic sauce and see how many ways you can make it by changing an ingredient or two. Replace a convenience food you currently buy with a home-made version. Eat around the table with your family! Who knows? You might end up having EEK! a dream come true (or even maybe just a really great dinner)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so happy to have you at the table! Thanks for stopping by and come back often!